Lehya is a traditional herbal preparation, herbal jam form of herbal elixirs. Lehya, leha or lehyam used for curing or preparing body to fight different conditions. Various fresh or dry herbs, herbal parts like leaves, root, stem, seed or sometimes the entire plant is used for preparing lehya.
Lehya preparation helps to keep the herbal medicine longtime. Generally, all lehya requires use of clarified butter or ghee, honey, jaggery, water, pepper, cumin, coriander, cardamom powder etc. These sub- ingredients help to keep the main active principles intact in the main herb. If honey is not available, one can use jaggery as a substitute for honey. In Ayurvedic formula of lehya, different forms of minerals are used. If one prepares lehya at home for common conditions minerals and metals are not used. Lehya preparation requires heating and cooking contents and it provides longer shelf-life period and lehya does not spoil easily.
Lehya types that we explain in next few slides are simple, everyday home remedy recipes for different conditions and to get overall health benefits. Advantage of taking lehya:
- Easily digestible
- Generally boosts and prepares immune system to fight diseases
- Better shelf life for herbal medicine
- Contains other volatile healthy ingredients helps to digest easily
- Presence of ghee (clarified butter) in most lehya makes it more palatable and richer in nutrients
- Lehya tastes better than bitter medicines
- Lehya are good for those who are recovering from severe conditions such as chronic bronchitis, low immune system, low blood count, chronic fever etc.
- Lehyas are good digestive care remedies
Dosage of all lehyam given in slides :1 to 2 tsp daily or alternate days.
Disclaimer: If you are allergic, pregnant or have conditions then contact your doctor before consuming any such herbal lehya preparations. Do not take your medications and herbal lehya together.
Images: WerIndia.com, Healthylife.WerIndia.com, Keralaayurveda.blz
References: Grandma’s remedies: Healthylife.werindia.com
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 17, 2020