Generally, ginger lehya is prepared during cold days – rainy and winter season (commonly known as Diwali medicine). Ginger helps to keep body warm and reduces infections. Ginger lehya is prepared during October- November months to help body to protect from flu season. It also prevents breathing issues by reducing inflammation.
- Cut ginger – 1 cup
- Cumin powder – 1 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 Tbsp
- Powdered jaggery – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 2 tsp
- Grind ginger, cumin and coriander powder with very little water into a paste.
- Place a vessel on medium heat, add ¼ water. Dissolve jaggery.
- Dissolve ghee on medium heat, add ginger paste and mix well.
- Add dissolved jaggery, cardamom powder to ginger paste and continue mixing.
- After few minutes, ghee will start separating from the mix. Turn off the heat and allow mix to cool.
- Transfer lehya into an airtight container. Take one tsp of this lehya when you need it.
Benefits of ginger lehya:
Ginger lehya prevents infections and helps in breathing problems. Consuming half to one tsp of ginger lehyam during cold days helps to protect body from cold. It reduces inflammation and body pain related to fever.
Dosage: 1 tsp daily. Consuming more ginger lehya can cause irritation
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 9, 2020