To fight Covid-19 and to recover fast from the disease we need two key weapons. These two weapons that help us fight the deadly Covid-19 are hydration and nutrition. We all know how important it is to drink water and keep body hydrated all time. We also know, keeping body hydrated and supplying good nutrition helps body immune system to be in balanced condition.
Our body composed of about 70% water. Normally we lose water in stool, urine, sweating, perspiration and through respiratory tract. If we are ill, body loses water more quickly. An unintentional weight loss during illness is an indication of not just fluid loss, it is also indication that fat and muscles are utilized to keep normal body functions. When we lose body fluid, muscle and fat heavily, it will have an impact on our ability to fight disease and takes time to recover.
To fight Covid-19 keep your body hydrated and eat balanced nutritious food
Covid-19 symptoms are fever, irregular breathing, cough, chill, headache, sore throat, muscle pain, loss of taste and appetite. During recovery process some of these symptoms like loss of taste buds and loss of appetite might continue. Even though, you don’t feel thirsty or hungry, make sure you drink enough liquid and eat nutritious food to support immune system function and gain back the lost strength.
How to keep body hydrated?
One can notice sign of dehydration during sickness through dark urine, fever, thirst, dry mouth, increased heart rate, tiredness, confusion and fatigue. Dehydration increases thickness of mucous and makes lungs hard to work. Unable to clear secretions from lungs can lead to pneumonia. Drinking water and clear liquids helps to keep respiratory secretion clear and thin.
- Drink water or clear liquids every hour. Suggested intake of liquids 2-4 ounces every 15 minutes
- Monitor signs of dehydration – If you are drinking enough water, your urine will be in light yellow color.
- Drink small sips of liquid every few minutes.
- To avoid taste fatigue drink varieties of liquids – lemon juice (less or no sugar), herbal tea, decaffeinated coffee, water, Turmeric milk, Yogi tea etc. Drinking warm water is a good idea.
- Keep drinking water next your bedside for night duration
- In case you have diarrhea or vomiting, make sure you have enough oral hydration solution along with water.
You can prepare rehydration drink at home: Here is the recipe
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Fruit juice – 1 cup (fresh fruit -orange, grape, apple or cranberry)
- Water -3.5 cups
- Mix three ingredients and drink.
Good nutrition to fight Covid-19
- Do not skip your breakfast and meals during recovery period. Your body needs strength to fight the invader and it needs to build up immune system.
- Do not try to diet during recovery. Eat well and get good rest. Keep your stomach filled. Even if you don’t feel hungry or tasteless – eat on time to build those lost muscles.
- Your body needs protein and calories to maintain metabolic functions. You need energy to fight the conditions. Intake of carbohydrate to protect against breakdown of energy from muscle breakdown is essential.
- Eat high protein, high calorie meals. To get good protein, you don’t need to go to supermarket to buy protein drink. You can prepare it at home with: Whole milk – 1 cup, Peanut butter – 2 tsp, Yogurt- ¾ cup, Fresh fruit – Banana, strawberry, blueberry, mango or fruits of your choice. Add all ingredients in a mixer or juicer and process it.
- Continue taking Vitamin, calcium and iron supplements. Oral nutrition supplements help you get recommended dosages of nutrients. Consider taking oral supplements that supply minimum of 15 calories and 15-30 grams of protein/8 ounces
- Till you get back taste and/or smell of food, try foods that give bit stronger odor. Include garlic and onion in food. Go for less sweet foods. Add spices to make blond food taste better. To get rid of bitter taste from food, add little sugar in the food.
- Measure body weight. Rebuilding lost muscle mass takes long time than you think. Noting your weight and preventing further loss of muscle helps to recover fast. High calorie, high protein diet with regular exercise will help to gain muscle.
Covid-19 is a serious virus attack on our system. During the recovery one needs help and attention. Patient must continue following good hygiene practice and take good rest. In addition, proper nutritious food as well as keeping body hydrated helps the person to recover fast and to regain the strength.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: May 4, 2020