Reasons for leg cramps are many – Not drinking enough water, tired muscle, standing longer hours, sitting leg crossed, swimming for long time, not stretching after exercise etc.
Sometimes leg cramping happens due to inadequate supply of blood to legs.
It happens when the muscles in calves, quadriceps or hamstrings involuntarily contract.
Either the muscle will feel sore or tenderness sets in resulting in intense pain.
Muscle locks and we will be unable to move the legs.
Few home remedies one can try to improve strengthening of muscle as well as to reduce leg cramps.
- Pineapple juice: Drinking pineapple juice helps to reduce muscle inflammation and swelling. The bromelain enzymes help in recovery of muscles fast
- Black cohosh: This herb has antispasmodic property and helps in relaxation of muscle and relieves cramps.
- Ginkgo biloba: This gymnosperm helps to increase the blood circulation by dilating the arteries. Ginkgo supplements are available in market. If you are taking any type of medication then don’t mix Ginkgo and allopathy medicine.
- Turmeric and honey: Drinking warm turmeric water (1 tsp to one cup of water) with 2 tsp of honey helps in reducing inflammation and legs will come back to normalcy soon. Drink this three times a week before going to bed.
- Chamomile tea: Drinking chamomile tea before going to bed relaxes the body and helps to sleep. Most of the time cramps happens while we sleep and chamomile tea helps to recover.
- Ginger and honey: Add an inch of grated ginger to water and boil it. Add little milk and a tsp of honey, drink. Have this afternoon or at night for better results.
- Cayenne ointment: Applying cayenne pepper ointment on the surface helps to stimulate blood circulation and reduces pain.
- Lavender essential oil: Mix lavender essential oil with castor oil and coconut oil. Apply on legs and massage in circulation motion. This relieves leg pain and leg cramp.
- Rosemary essential oil: Add few drops of rosemary essential oil to hot water and take bath. Other option is to mix with coconut oi and applying by means of massaging helps.
- Molasses: To a cup of warm milk add one or two tea spoon of molasses and drink. Molasses contains calcium and potassium – both help in strengthening muscle.
- Other herbal supplements: Peruvian bark and cramp bark both have anti-inflammatory properties. Cramp bark is antispasmodic and helps to relax the muscle as well as nervous system.
- Drumstick leaves: For severe cramps, collect drumstick leaves and warm it for few minutes and tie around the leg muscle using a muslin cloth. One can apply drumstick leaves juice too to get relief from cramps.
- Castor oil and beetle leaf: Apply castor oil on beetle leaf and place it on cramp and pain area for some time. This is similar to stomach ache curing method in children and infants.
- Drinking water: Drinking recommended amount of water and keeping yourself hydrated helps. Dehydration is a reason for leg cramps.
- Eucalyptus oil: Sometimes leg cramp can be due to winter or cold weather. Applying Eucalyptus essential oil mixed with coconut oil/ olive oil helps.
- Epsom salt: Add Epsom salt to hot water and take bath. Or in bucket or bath tub add Epsom salt and water. Soak legs in this water for half an hour to get relief from cramping.
- Yellow mustard: Add 1 tsp of yellow mustard to 1 cup of warm milk and drink at night. Consume this every day till you feel the improvement.
Avoid standing longer hours, wearing uncomfortable and high heel shoes. Practicing drinking lot of fluid are always recommended. Once a week massage your legs using warm castor oil/olive oil/coconut oil and take bath – these practices help to get stronger legs.
www.healthylife.werindia.com : Grandma online