There are many ways to consume pineapple fruit. We all know pineapple juice, smoothie, fruit salad, pineapple yogurt etc. Here is a traditional Indian vegetarian soup called “pineapple rasam” that helps in easy digestion after a very heavy meal.
Do you know pineapple has many health benefits?
It is good for arthritis patients, contains vitamin C and hence a immune booster, helps in tissue and cell growth, easy digestion because of fiber content and helps in weight loss, remedy for cough and cold, reduces inflammation, good for oral, eye and bone health. It improves blood circulation and reduces blood pressure !
Why wait? Try pineapple rasam today !
- Pineapple pieces – 1/2 cup
- Tomato -2
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Sambar or rasam powder – 1 tsp
- Asafetida (hing) – little (usually a pinch)
- Curry leaves – 10
- Split lentil (toor daal) – 2 Tbs
- Salt – as needed
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Oil or ghee – 2 tsp
1. Get ready with pineapple chunks and cut tomatoes into small pieces.
2. Add one cup water into a cooking vessel and allow it to boil. Now add cut tomatoes, pineapple chunks, chopped ginger, rasam or sambar powder followed by salt.
3. Let it cook for till the pineapple becomes soft and tomato pulp separates from the skin.
4. Meanwhile pressure cook the toor daal.
5. Now, take 3-4 pieces of cooked pineapple and grind with ginger and green chilli to a paste.
6. To the vessel add grinded paste, 2 cups of water and the cooked toor daal. Add little more salt.
7. Let the contents boil on medium heat.
8. In a pan heat oil and add cumin and mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and asafetida and prepare seasoning.
9. Add this seasoning on top of the pineapple rasam and turn off the heat source.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve pineapple rasam with rice.
*If you feel pineapple is sweet, then add few drops of lemon juice before serving the rasam.
*One can also drink this rasam after meal. This increases metabolism and helps in easy digestion.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: March 14, 2017