Weight can become a problem at any age. It is important to reduce weight according to your age. Over weight of a person can create several health issues – including back pain, leg pain, diabetes, blood pressure etc. There are many diet plans. Naturally, one can reduce the weight by moderate food intake and by being active. It is important to make sure that we get good nutrients when we are on diet and it is equally important to be active while reducing weight. Yoga, Pilates, dancing, fitness mantras are all very helpful to tone the body and to reduce weight. Some natural tips to reduce weight are given below.
Horse gram: Grandma’s recommendation to a woman would be horse gram in any form. Horse gram is a popular south Indian bean and it promotes weight loss and slimming when taken continuously is any of the following forms. It is also very good in controlling and reducing cholesterol, like the popular flax seed.
1. Horse gram rasam popularly known as kollu or kulith rasam in south Indian languages is a soup made with horse gram. Refer to south Indian cookery websites or blogs to learn the procedure to make it. This can be eaten with rice or just as a soup in a soup bowl. Incidentally kollu rasam is very good for cough and cold also. It is a great relief. (Refer to my post on cough and cold for home remedies for cold).
2. Horse gram sprout is another way of consuming it. Just like any other bean, soak in water and sprout. Sprouts always have more vitamins. If it is difficult to eat a bowl full of plain horsegram sprouts, then some salad veggies can be added to it along with salt and pepper. This is best for controlling and reducing cholesterol.
3. There are so many other ways in which the horse gram can be consumed. Refer to internet for various recipes.
4. If you do not like the taste of any of the recipes, then just dry roast a small quantity of horse gram. Roast it till you get the nice aroma of the horse gram. Grind to make a fine powder. Eat 1 tablespoon of this with just water or mix it with a soup or just mix it with any food of your choice.
Use garlic in your foods. Garlic reduces bad cholesterol and builds up good cholesterol.
1. Chew one clove of garlic every day morning in empty stomach and drink water.
2. Dry roast garlic and consume couple of roasted cloves every day.
Cinnamon contains antioxidants and cinnamaldehyde. It helps in lowering blood sugar level and is an anti-inflammatory agent. Cinnamaldehyde boosts the metabolism and helps in reducing fat contents.
1. To every day tea, add couple of pinch of cinnamon powder and drink. Or while boiling water add an inch of cinnamon stick.
2. Drink a cup of cinnamon tea with little honey.
3. When you add spice to your food, do not forget to add one or two pinches of cinnamon powder to get benefits for your health.
Lemon juice-honey and cinnamon-lemon- honey:
- To warm water add 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey. Mix and drink in empty stomach every morning. This helps to reduce the weight.
- Drink cinnamon tea with honey and lemon. This reduces your cholesterol and weight.
Drink enough water to keep yourself lean. The minimum water required is about 9 oz per day. If you are active then, you need more water. Understand how much water your body needs to keep it hydrated.
1. Throw spinach, cucumber, tomato and ginger to a blender. Extract juice and have once a day.
2. Mix a bunch of wheat grass, one apple and an inch of ginger and blend it with little water. Strain and drink the juice.
3. Add black pepper in your diet. It breaks fat cells and increases metabolism.
4. Have green salad – mix lettuce or cabbage with carrots, olives, dry fruits and flax seeds.
5. Cucumber, cabbage, carrot salad is another best bet to reduce weight.
6. Drink cucumber and ginger water. Throw few cucumber pieces and an inch of ginger to 8 oz water. Drink to reduce weight.
7. Add few lemon pieces in water and drink throughout the day.
8. Have green tea – tulsi tea, mint tea, chammomile tea, cinnamon tea, rose hip tea – all these are good to reduce body weight.
9. Add turmeric (1 tsp), few pieces of pineapple, inch of ginger, cucumber, cabbage, carrot, celery and spinach to a blender. Add water and blend for few minutes. Drink this juice to reduce stubborn belly fat.
10. Ginger, cucumber, mint and lemon juice – add all these to a blender. Add little water, blend and drink the juice to increase metabolism!
11. Drink one cup of buttermilk everyday. Avoid adding salt or sugar in the butter milk. Instead, add few crushed black pepper and drink.
Salt and sugar intake:
- If you are serious about your losing weight then, take control on sugar and salt intake. Sugar increases calories and salt increases weight by retaining water in the body.
Yoga and fitness:
There are many other forms of yoga evolved over the years. Power yoga, hatha yoga, vinyasa flow etc. Practice the yoga which seems to be beneficial for you. Practice traditional yoga that helps to tone the body. It also keeps your mind focused. Yoga not only strengthens your body, it gives flexibility and helps to understand who you are when it comes to understanding your body. (See yoga poses in our mind and body section).
Moderate food intake:
Take control on your food intake. Introduce more vegetables and fruits in your diet. Eat moderately. There is no harm in consumption of white rice but you should reduce the amount. Similarly, reduce sugar, ghee, cream and butter intake. Whatever you eat – eat moderately. Do not go overboard on any foods. Snack on dry fruits, fresh vegetables and very little numkins and sweets.
Grandma says it is important to be active and work out. Work out not necessarily going to gym but also cleaning the house, gardening, walking, dancing etc. helps in weight reduction. In other words, do not lead a sedentary life. Be active and use your body muscles to work hard and play hard!
Read more at: Healthylife.werindia.com