Goli baje or Mangalore bajji is a famous traditional and evening snack in Karnataka. The ingredients are simple and readily available at homes. The main ingredient is all purpose flour and yogurt. To enhance the taste urad flour can be added and it serves protein too. Healthy herbs – cilantro (coriander), ginger, asafetida, cumin seeds and curry leaves enhances the taste of golibaje and keeps our digestive system proper. One should have this hot with coconut chutney.
Kids love to eat this traditional item. Families generally enjoy having hot goli baje during cold and rainy season.
Why wait? Make goli baje this week end!
Serving size = 3 per person
- All purpose flour (maida) – 1 cup
- Urad flour – 1/4 cup
- Rice flour – 1 Tbs
- Sour curd (yogurt) – 1 cup
- Baking soda -1/4 tsp
- Green chillies – 3 (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1.5 inch (finely chopped)
- Coconut – Small pieces ( 2 Tbs)
- Curry leaves – 1 string (finely chopped)
- Asafetida – 1 or 2 pinch
- Cumin seeds -1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per your taste
- Frying oil
1) Mix all purpose flour, urad flour and rice flour in sour yogurt and prepare a thick batter.
2) Add salt, chilli, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, coconut pieces into the flour mix.
3) Add baking soda. Keep batter aside for 2-3 hours (recommended for better taste)
4) In a deep container, on medium flame heat the cooking oil.
5) To heated oil release a golf ball size batter mix one by one.
6) Fry to golden brown color and transfer to paper towel to remove excess oil.
7) Serve hot golibaje with coconut chutney. Hot golibaje tastes very yummy!
* One can add cut onions into batter.
** One can buy urad flour in shop or can make at home by dry frying urad daal and grinding it to fine powder.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: January 20, 2017