Having a low glycemic index, semolina or rava is ideal for those who wish to lose weight or those who have blood sugar problems. Semolina is made of durum wheat which is a hard variety of wheat. It is slow to digest and little amount of semolina fills the stomach. This helps you feel full longer and prevents you from overeating. For those who lead an active lifestyle, semolina is a quick and nourishing source of energy. The trace minerals in semolina, such as phosphorus, zinc and magnesium, are beneficial for the health of your bones and nervous system.
Here is a quick and easy kids friendly recipe of semolina bonda which also can be used as a snack item when you expect guests. Serve this with coconut chutney to make it more tasty !
Rava bonda recipe:
- Rava/semolina – 1 cup
- Sour yogurt/curd – ½ cup
- Onion – 1chopped
- Ginger – An inch chopped
- Green chili – 2 chopped (or as needed)
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves -12 chopped
- Coriander/cilantro leaves chopped -1/4 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Asafetida (hing)- a pinch
- Oil for frying
1) Mix rava, sour curd, salt well to a paste – not too thick. Use little water too. You should be able to make a ball out of this paste. Keep it aside for an hour to soak.
2) Add finely chopped onion, ginger, green chili, pepper powder, curry leaves, cilantro leaves and pinch of asafoetida (hing) and mix well.
3) In a deep pan, heat the oil under medium flame.
4) Make small balls of semolina mix and release slowly in the oil. Deep fry till they turn golden brown.
5) Transfer the hot rava bonda to a tissue paper to drain the excess oil.
6) Serve hot rava bonda with coconut chutney with coffee or tea as a snack item.
Coconut chutney recipe:
- Grated fresh coconut -1/2 cup
- Roasted chana dal -1/4 cup
- Ginger-1/2 inch
- 1 green chili -1 or 2
- Curry leaves -10-15
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Salt as required
- In a grinder, add coconut, roasted chana dal, ginger, chili, little salt and grind to a paste.
- Transfer the chutney to a container.
- In small pan heat little oil, add mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and asafetida and get ready with seasoning.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney. Before serving if you would like then add little lemon juice and serve with bonda.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: July 13, 2021