Mangalore, a city of Karnataka, not only famous for its educational institutes and fashion, it is also famous for varieties of dishes aka Mangalore/Udupi cuisine. Mangalore bun or banana buns are tasty and easy to make banana puris made of all purpose flour. It is easy to prepare and kids will love the taste of these delicious buns. It is a good choice for lunch box or can be served as a breakfast or snack item with coconut chutney.
Mangalore banana bun recipe:
1. All-purpose flour 250 grams
2. Ripe banana -2
3. Yogurt- 2 tbs
4. Sugar- 3 tbs
5. Salt- 1/2 tsp
6. Clarified butter – 1 tbs
7. Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
8. Water -1/4 cup
9. Carom seeds -1/2 tsp
10. Oil for frying
1. In a bowl mix flour, carom seeds, sugar, salt and baking soda.
2. In another bowl mash banana well and add yogurt, clarified butter and water. Beat and mix well.
3. Transfer the flour mixture into the banana mixture and knead till it becomes a smooth dough.
4. Close the container and leave it overnight.
5. Once the dough has rested enough, it loosens up a little after fermentation and becomes elastic.
6. Next day when you are ready prepare small balls out this mixture and roll it to small puri size..
7. In a pan heat oil over medium flame and deep fry the rolls till they turn golden brown.
8. Generally the bun puffs up with couple of layers . Remove it from the oil and transfer it to paper towel to remove excess oil.
9. Serve hot buns with coconut chutney and Enjoy!
Coconut chutney recipe:
1. Grated fresh coconut -1/2 cup
2. Roasted chana dal -1/4 cup
3. Ginger-1/2 inch
4. 1 green chili -1 or 2
5. Curry leaves -10-15
6. Oil – 2 tsp
7. Asafetida – a pinch
8. Salt as required
1. In a grinder, add coconut, roasted chana dal, ginger, chili, little salt and grind to a paste.
2. Transfer the chutney to a container.
3. In small pan heat little oil, add mustard, urad dal, curry leaves and asafetida and get ready with seasoning.
4. Add the seasoning to the chutney. Before serving if you would like then add little lemon juice and serve with banana bun !.
Kids will enjoy these banana buns for breakfast, lunch or as evening snack.