Tomato Capsicum Basmati Rice is delicious lunch or dinner item one can prepare with easily available ingredients. Basmati rice is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol. Basmati has a low to medium glycaemic index, meaning that energy is released at a slower, steadier rate leading to a more balanced level of energy.
Tomatoes and capsicum are good combination of vegetables together will give good taste for basmathi vegetable rice.
Do you know these facts? Capsaicin, a chemical present in capsicum increases the fat-burning rate in the body without spiking blood pressure and heart rate, thus helping with weight loss. In addition, tomato has lycopene that helps to boost prostrate health, prevents cancer and promotes eye health.
Try this healthy rice recipe.
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 3
- Garlic clove – 7
- Tomato – 5 to 6
- Garama masala powder – 1 Tbs.
- Green capscicum – 1
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee/clarified butter – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp.
- Mint leaves – 1 tsp
- Coriander chopped – 1 Tbs.
- Cashew – About 12
- Cumin seeds -1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Wash rice and soak in water for about 10 minutes. Drain water and fry soaked rice in ghee in a frying pan.
- Soak tomatoes in hot water fro few minutes and remove the skin (if you prefer). Take tomatoes from hot water and grind to a paste. Add 1/2 cup water to tomato paste.
- Cut two onions to thin slices.
- In a vessel heat oil on medium flame. Add garlic, cumin and sliced onion and fry to golden brown color. Add cut pieces of green capsicum and continue frying for another one minute. To this, add garam masala powder, salt, chilli powder followed by tomato paste. Allow this mix to boil for few minutes.
- Transfer the tomato masala mix to a rice pressure cook and add fried rice and little amount of water to cook the tomato mix rice.
- Remove the rice from pressure cooker and add grated cheese, mint, coriander leaves and mix well again.
- Cut the left over onion into ring shape and fry to golden color.
- Before serving decorate the top of tomato rice with cashew and fried onion rings.
- Serve tomato -cheese rice with your choice of pickle or raita.