- Channa dal – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped ginger – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 1 cup
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – 1 spoon
- Grated Desiccated coconut – 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Jaggery – a small piece
- Tamarind – small lemon sized
- Pepper Corns – 6 to 8
1. Wash, finely chop ginger or grate ginger. (you can peel the skin).
2. Roast channa dal on medium flame till you get aroma.
3. Heat 1/2 a spoon of oil and add asafetida, mustard – add broken chillies, curry leaves, pepper and fry till crisp.
4. Add grated coconut and fry for a minute, keep aside.
5. Roast ginger with 1/2 spoon oil till it becomes dry and crisp on low flame.
6. Cool all the roasted ingredients, add salt, jaggery, tamarind and grind to a coarse powder.
7. Serve with hot rice or dosa and idli.