- 20 Amla (Nellikai / Gooseberry)
- 3/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash amla and pressure cook with enough water for exactly one whistle. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Drain the water completely and allow amla to cool down a bit. Dont throw off the water used to cook amla. You can use it later to prepare rice or any curry.
- Cut amla into two halves. Remove the seed and cut the halves into flakes. Take a pan and switch the flame to medium-low.
- Add amla flakes, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and water to it. Once sugar is completely dissolved, switch the flame to low and stir it occasionally.
- After 10-15 mins, you can remove cloves and cinnamon & start to mash the amla pulp with the help of back side of a round ladle or paav bhaji masher can ease your work.
- Once you have completely mashed the pulp, add lemon juice & cook for another 5-10 mins till the mixture reaches gel like consistency. It should not be watery and also not too thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and serve when needed.
Published by: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 24, 2016