- 8 cups chopped or coarsely ground peeled pears (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sugar (white or brown)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir more frequently as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in head space. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 6 half-pints.