Here is mouth watering and nutritional snack for the day – Sprouted Mung dal cutlets.
Sprouted mung beans (moong daal) are baby mung bean plants. Because mung bean sprouts are so small, they contain a concentrated amount of key vitamins and minerals such as iron, potassium, folate and vitamin C. They are also a good source of protein. As the plants sprout, they also produce enzymes that make it easier for your body to digest and metabolize the protein they contain. Add these tiny nutritional powerhouses to a variety of healthy recipes to boost the protein content.
2 – Potatoes (cooked)
1 cup – Sprouted cooked green grams
(For sprouting the mung beans soak mung beans in water for 8 hours. Drain water and place them in a low light or considerably darker place in the kitchen at room temperature. You can use cheesecloth, paper cloth or just a plain jar for sprouting. If you are using plain jar, then cover it with a light cloth )
- 1 -Finely cut white onion
- 2 – Small cut green chillies
- 1 tsp – Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel seed powder
- 1 -2 inch grated Ginger
- 2 tbsp – Corn flour
- 7-8 Indian curry leaves
- 1/4 cup – Bread crumbs
- Salt for taste
- Oil for frying
- Combine the cooked sprouted green grams, cooked potatoes, garam masala powder, fennel seed powder in a bowl.
- Heat few drops of oil and sauté the chopped onions, chopped green chillies, grated ginger and curry leaves until the onions turns golden brown.
- Add sautéed onion, chillies to the cooked potato-sprouted green gram mixtur, add salt e and mix well
- Make small balls from this mixture. Flatten them and keep aside.
- Make a white paste with corn flour and enough water. Dip the flatten cutlets into the corn flour paste and roll it over the bread crumbs.*
- Heat oil in a pan and gently drop the cutlets in. Fry on both sides in medium flame until the crust turns golden brown.
- Serve hot cutlets with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
*Alternatively one can mix bread crumbs while mixing potato -sprouted green gram mixture with onion, prepare balls and flatten it before dropping it to oil. The purpose of adding bread crumbs is to bind the mix well, so that while frying cutlets remain intact.