Try this traditional Karnataka style rasam or Kattu using Horse gram. One can drink this like soup with little butter or ghee.
Horse gram is rich source of calcium amongst all the legumes.
It contains iron, folate and abundant protein content. Sprouted horse gram similar to other sprouts provides good protein, soluble digestive fiber and active enzymes.
1. Hurali [Horse gram] 3 cups
2. Vaate huli/Lakoocha 1 tsp OR Tamarind grape size
3. Sambar powder 1 tsp
4. Dry red chilies 2
5. Garlic pod (minced) 3-4
6. Asafoetida pinch
7. Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
8. Curry leaves 1 strand
1. Wash and soak hurali/horse gram in water overnight. Drain the water. [I prefer sprouted horse gram hence I keep them one more day to sprout]
2. Pressure cook the sprouted horse gram with salt and 5-6 cups water [horse gram takes more time to cook]. Filter the water and use this water(stock) to make ‘kattu’.
3. Take about half cup of cooked horse gram/hurali along with 1/4 cup water(stock) in a blender, add sambar powder and vaate huli/lakoocha. Blend into smooth.
4. Take the filtered water(stock) in a vessel and add the ground paste (step 3) mix well. Add salt. Let it boil.
5. Seasoning: Heat a tsp oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, asafoetida, dry red chilies, minced garlic and curry leaves. Pour this to boiling ‘hurali kattu’. Switch off the stove.
6. Now hurali kattu is ready, it smells great and tastes delicious, goes well with rice.
7. Make usali from rest of the cooked horse gram.
Recipe by: Mamatha Anil @http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/