Coconut rice or Thengai saadam or Kobbari rice is very popular in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. This is one of the item in festival menu. Freshly grated coconut with some spices makes it very tasty.
- Grated fresh coconut – 1 cup
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Greeen chillies – 5
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Bengal gram – 1 table spoon
- Black gram – 1 table spoon
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves: 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves: 10
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder
- Few cashews
- Oil for frying
- Clarified butter or ghee a tea spoon
- Wash and keep rice in pressure cooker*.
- Keep grated coconut and other required ingredients in one plate.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, after it splutters, add bengal gram, black gram, green chillies, curry leaves, a little salt, asafetida then finally add grated/shredded coconut and ghee. Mix well.
- Add roasted cashew on top of the rice.
- Add the fried ingredients to rice, salt and mix.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and or grated carrots.
- Enjoy coconut rice with potato chips or lentil chutney or pappadam.
* Rice should be loosely cooked and should not be smashed. One can add fried buttermilk chillies for more spice and taste.
Image courtesy: http://media2.sailusfood.com/