We all know benefit of ripened papaya fruit. It is good for diabetes and reduces cholesterol. It also helps in weight loss and eases menstrual pain. Do you know raw papaya fruit also has several benefits?
It reduces piles, reduces intestinal worms, helps in easy digestion of food and reduces constipation. It is good for weight loss! With these uses, raw papaya also reduces nerve related problems. It is also good for diabetes. It contains vitamin A, C, E and B along with minerals magnesium, potassium. Carotenoids present in raw papaya helps in easy absorption of vitamins from the body. Another use of raw papaya is it helps to improve lactation in new mothers. However, pregnant women or expecting mothers should not consume papaya as it increases body heat.
Studies also show that as papaya ripens its enzyme level goes down. To get overall benefit of papaya one can think of consuming raw papaya. Another point to remember is, it has less sweet and supplies less calories, it means it is a good addition for weight loss diet program!
How to eat raw papaya?
One can use cooked raw papaya to make curry, sambaar, raita (yogurt based) or majjige huli (buttermilk based). Cooked raw papaya curry is easy to prepare and one will get overall benefits of the fruit.
What you need is:
- Raw papaya – Small size (not too young fruit)
- Onion – 1 cup
- Garlic cloves – 5
- Green chilli – 3
- Grated coconut- ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – As per your taste
- Curry leaves – few
- Remove papaya skin and cut inner raw pulp into small pieces and put in water. Throw seeds.
- Coarse grind coconut, green chilli, garlic, turmeric powder. Do not add water while grinding.
- On medium heat, keep a deep vessel and add 1 Tbsp cooking oil. To this add mustard, curry leaves, chenna daal (1 tsp), urad daal (1tsp) and onion. Fry onion for couple of minutes.
- Strain water and add only papaya fruit pieces to above seasoning and mix well.
- Add salt and half a cup water and close the lid. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the water is evaporated, check whether papaya pieces cooked or not. If not cooked sprinkle little water and continue cooking for few more minutes.
- Remove cooked raw papaya curry and serve hot with rice or roti or eat just the curry as it tastes good.
Grandma’s remedies: www.healthylife.werindia.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: January 17, 2018