In our ancient methods, our ancestors were focusing on bringing back strength by clearing the lung system. Grandma recommends some of those ancient home remedies for asthma to boost immune system using lehyam and other methods.
When someone has asthma it is important to bring their strength and immunity system back. The weaker the body bringing back to normalcy from asthma attack becomes tedious. In our ancient methods our ancestors were focusing on bringing back strength by clearing the lung system and reducing wheezing.
1. Pink salt, ginger, pepper and Tulsi: To 250 ml of water add 1/4 ginger powder, about 6 crushed black pepper, 1/4 tsp saindhava lavana (pink salt), and 5 holy tulsi leaves and boil. Continue boiling and let the water reduce to 1/4 th of original volume. Drink this twice a day.
2. Boil fresh ginger in water (1 inch grated ginger in 150 ml water) and drink daily.
3. For 1 tsp of honey and ginger powder and pepper powder and mix well. Have this mix twice daily – morning and night (after dinner). This reduces wheezing.
4. Put few drops of eucalyptus oil, patouchili oil in hot water and inhale the steam.
5. Boil pepper powder, coriander powder and little hing with turmeric powder. Inhale the steam by covering head to relieve any asthma irritation.
6. Pipli lehyam: Prepare lehyam using 4-5 Piper longum (Indian long pipli) -prepare powder of pipli and add honey (3 Tbs), dates (few) and raisins with little ghee. Mix well on low flame and transfer to a air tight container. Consume a tsp of this every night with warm milk.
7. Ginger lehyam: Soak ajwan, jeera and coriander seeds for about 2 hours and grind with 2 inches of fresh ginger to fine paste. Cook this on low flame. Add jaggery and ghee and continue cooking while stirring constantly for another 5-10 minutes on low flame. Consume this once a day during night with half a glass of warm milk.
8. Turmeric, pepper and honey: Mix a tsp of honey and turmeric powder with 1/4 tsp of pepper powder. Have this mix once or twice a day during winter time to come out of difficulty breathing.
9. Clove: Take 5-6 cloves and boil them in half a glass of water, followed by adding a spoon of honey. Drink warm milk or water after consuming this mix.
10. Mustard Oil and camphor: Take some mustard oil and mix camphor powder in it. Massage with it all over the chest, till you get relief from the asthma. To have an immediate effect warm mustard oil and camphor.
11. Onion juice and honey: Prepare a few drops of onion by crushing and squeezing onion and add a tsp of honey and have this mix to reduce lung inflammation and irritation.
12. Fenugreek and ginger: Take fenugreek seeds powder- 2 tbsp, Ginger paste – 2 tsp, Honey- 1 tsp in 1 liter of water. Boil fenugreek powder and ginger. After 10 minutes strain the mix and add honey and drink.
13. Moringa leaves (drumstick) soup: Boil drumstick leaves and add pepper and ghee have it. This boosts immune system and the alkaloids present in these leaves helps in relaxation of bronchioles.
14. Daily twice practice pranayama. Focus on breathing. Let both inhale and exhale be at same length. This helps in strengthening lungs.
15. Every day early morning walk during summer helps to get good and clean air. Sit in the glowing sun for an hour to clear the system.
16. Stay away from – smoking, drinking, tobacco, soft drinks
17. Keep away perfume, essence, mosquito repellents – these will cause lung irritation and increases asthma.
18. Remove dust from surfaces and keep house clean. While dusting makes sure that, you don’t expose asthma patient to dust particles.
19. Cats and other pets hair can enhance asthma by increasing allergy. Stay away from pets.
20. Keep yourself warm during winter and wear warm cloths to protect your lungs and chest.
Disclaimer: These are home remedies. Do not mix these remedies with your doctor’s prescriptions of any types of drugs and medicines.