Looking for something healthy, nutritious and tasty food? Try this powder. Even though, it is called Fenugreek (menthi) powder the main ingredients of this powder includes several different grains. This powder is very rich in protein and tastes delicious when you mix rice. The unique aroma the powder has is due to roasted fenugreek or menthi seeds and hence the name Menthi powder. This powder is popular in Karnataka state of India. Menthi powder also known as one of the famous traditional powder prepared by grandmothers.
What you need?
- Black gram – 1 cup
- Bengal Gram – 1 cup
- Split pigeon peas – 1 cup
- Green gram – 1/2 cup
- Horse Gram – 2 -3 tsp
- Rice – 2 tsp
- Wheat / broken wheat – 4-5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds- 2-3 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli -2-6
- Curry Leaves – Two leaflets
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – Little (1/4 tsp)
- Dry roast all the above mentioned grains separately in medium heat till they turn light brown and produce aroma.
- Allow them to cool
- Powder all the ingredients together using a mixer / dry grinder
- Store the powder in a tight container
Whenever you feel like eating something made of rice, add menthi powder to hot rice mix with little salt, fresh lemon juice and ghee (clarified butter).
Image courtesy: Media2.sailusfood.com