Green banana flour is familiar to people who lookout for gluten-free flours. It is popular with those who are intolerant to gluten protein. We know both ripened and raw banana contain rich amount of fiber and other important nutrients like potassium. Green banana flour gives similar benefits and much more.
In countries where the wheat flour is much pricier people use green banana flour as an alternative. It is produced by processing green banana – washed, peeled, chopped, dried to remove water content, and then ground to fine powder. Green banana flour contains resistant starch that does not break down into sugar and helps the gut. Resistant starch is fermentable fiber. This characteristic of green banana flour makes it useful to get many health benefits.
It is a more consumer friendly flour. Green banana flour is much popular in Africa, Jamaica, Haiti and central American regions. It gives slight banana scent and earthy flavor when cooked.
- It is used in promoting digestive health. It is natural prebiotic and promotes gut friendly bacteria such as Ruminococcus, Akkermansia and Bifidobacteria. It is helpful in maintaining intestinal mucosal barrier.
- It is low glycemic starch and reduces negative effects of metabolic syndrome
- Because it is dietic starch, it helps to improve blood sugar level and reduces insulin sensitivity
- It reduces cell damage a process that happens with high blood sugar level. Polyphenols in green banana flour has good impact on oxidative stress
- Reduces cholesterol level in blood and supports heart health. It is a good replacement for wheat, rice, corn and potato starch.
- Being prebiotic, promotes healthy colon. It exerts protective effects to prevent colon cancer, enhance absorption of nutrients and promote satiety and weight loss and prevent obesity.
- It supplies potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, dietary fiber and is low in sugar
- It contains pectin that helps in controlling diarrhea.
- It is a nutrient rich vegan food and could be used in many types of diet programs. It is a grain free source of complex carbohydrates.
- Some amount of 5-hydroxytryptophan presence in green banana flour makes it a desired food for mood control, stress, anxiety and depression.
How to use green banana flour?
- Use in smoothies and milk shake for better texture and additional nutrients
- Add it to baked goods such as brownies, cookies preparation, crackers
- As salad dressing – some use banana flour in salad dressing, soup and stews as a thickening agent.
- Use for making rotis, chapathis or other types of Indian breads. Mix with regular flour as you desire.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 17, 2021