Raw bananas are healthy and contain nutrients that support our digestive system. The main ingredient is starch and the same starch converts to sugar in ripened bananas. The starch in raw banana does not digest in small intestine totally, hence it is considered as dietary fiber. Another ingredient in raw banana is pectin. Both pectin and starch are good for blood sugar maintenance and digestive health.
There are different ways to cook and eat raw banana. One can prepare curry, varieties of sambar, chips (bake or deep fry). For those who like cutlets, substitute potatoes with raw banana and prepare tasty cutlets.
Raw banana cutlet recipe
- Raw banana – 3
- Green chilies, finely chopped – 3
- Grated ginger – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder -1/4 tsp
- Cumin -1 tsp
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – ¼ cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Breadcrumbs – ½ cup
- Oil for frying
- Wash and peel outer skin of raw banana, cut into halves and pressure cook
- Smash cooked raw banana and keep it aside
- Heat little oil in a container on medium heat, add green chili, cumin seeds, grated ginger, asafetida and slightly sauté.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro, smashed plantain, salt , garam masala, red chili powder and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Take medium lemon size banana mix and prepare patties.
- On both sides of banana patties apply bread crumb.
- Place a deep frying pan on medium heat and transfer banana patties to heated oil and fry until both sides turn golden brown.
- Transfer hot cutlet on a paper towel to remove any excess oil and serve hot cutlet with green chutney or tamarind-date sauce.
Image credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/652459064756311354/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: July 19, 2021