Guava (Botanical name: Psidium guajava) is a tropical tree and fruits are available throughout the year.
There are many varieties of guava based on the pulp and skin color – red, pink, green, white and yellow. All varieties have sweet and slight sour taste. Guava belongs to Myrtaceae family.
Guava has many medicinal properties and makes it very unique plant. Flowers of these plants are beautiful and attractive. Fruits have unique fragrance and spreads for away.
Tender leaves are slightly bitter and during summer in many households of India, special dishes will be prepared using leaves.
Guava jam, smoothie, juice, fruit salad, ice-cream, sweets all are made out of its delicious fruits.
Some of the medicinal properties of this wonderful plant are listed below:
- Guava is one of the richest sources of Vitamin C.
- Bitter young leaves are medicinal -good for diabetic condition.
- Guava fulfills about 12% of our daily folate.
- It makes up for significant nutrition in form of Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium and Phosphorus.
- Guava -known for strengthening our immune system to regulating a healthy and ideal blood pressure.
- It is a known anti-oxidant and vitamin rich composition makes it healthy for your eyes, skin and hair.
- Fruit has lycopene content which controls tumor growth. Research shows lycopene content in Guava is as high as 5204 microgram.
- The potassium in Guava is full fills 9% of our daily requirement.
Because of its good content of potassium, it is considered as good electrolyte.
- Potassium and vitamin C content helps in cardiac health.
- Heavy antioxidant contents present in guava makes it suitable anti-agent. It decreases ageing process of skin and hair.
- Guava is a good friend for diabetic patients. Guava sans skin helps in reducing the absorption of sugar. It has a very low gylcemic index and makes it more valuable.
- Guava tender leaves and fruits help in relieving constipation. Both fruits and leaves are good source of fiber.
- Vitamin A and beta- carotene present in Guava helps in eye health.
- Because of astringent properties, Guava helps in keeping mouth, breath and gums clean.
Next time when you see Guava in the market or on road side market do not neglect, buy and eat to get all the good qualities of this fragrant fruit.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 28, 2018