Yoga poses that involve twisting of the body helps to stretch the spine, provide relaxation for muscles and strengthens back. Bharadvaja’s twist is an intermediate yoga pose that reduces lower backache, also gives relief from neck and sciatica pain. Twisting helps to relieves mind stress, reduces constipation, massages abdominal organs. It is a pose that is recommended for second trimester of pregnancy. Pose helps to stretch shoulder and hip muscles. This pose needs support for hands to twist. Hence practicing the pose reduces carpal tunnel syndrome! – Healthy life
LEVEL :Beginner, Intermediate
Anatomy :Abs, Digestive System, Shoulders, Spine
Pose Type :Hip Opener, Seated, Twist
Sanskrit: Bharadvajasana (bhar-ahd-VAH-JAHS-anna)
Bharadvaja = a sage; the father of Drona, who fought in the famous war described in the Mahabharata
- Massages the abdominal organs
- Improves digestion
- Stretches the spine and shoulders
- Increases spinal flexibility
- Relieves stress
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Begin sitting in Staff pose (Dandasana). Shift to your left, bend your knees, and swing your legs to the right. Rest your right ankle in the arch of your left foot.
- Lengthen your spine. Exhale and twist to the left.
- Tuck your right hand underneath your left knee. Then grasp your upper right arm with your left hand by placing your left arm behind your back. Exhale and continue twisting the torso to the left.
- Gaze over your left shoulder.
- Stay in this pose for up to one minute. Exhale to release and repeat on the opposite side.
MODIFY OR REPLACE
- Bring your back hand to the floor behind you, rather than grasping the opposite upper arm.
- Alternative: Supine Spinal Twist (Supta Matsyendrasana)
- Reclining Big Toe pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
- Hero pose (Virasana)
- Flying Crow pose (Eka Pada Galavasana)
- Koundinya’s pose (Eka Pada Koundinyasana I)
- Lengthen your tailbone toward the floor.
- Press your shoulder blades together.
- With each inhalation, lift the sternum.
- With each exhalation, twist a little deeper.
- Gaze over your shoulder in the opposite direction of the twist.
WATCH OUT FOR
- Bodyweight resting solely on the twisting-side buttock: If this happens, have the student place a folded blanket under the lifted buttock (for teachers).
This article and image is published here with prior permission from beyogi.com.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 26, 2020