Spinach is a healthy green leaf vegetable. It is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol. It is high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. Abundant flavonoids in spinach act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidizing and protect your body from free radicals, particularly in the colon. Try spinach pakoda this navaratri.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1 green chili or ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- rock salt
- water as required
- Roast the peanuts in a small pan till they become crisp. when they cool, coarsely crush them in a mortar-pestle.
- Wash the spinach leaves and dry them on a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix everything including the coarsely powdered peanuts. Add very little water and make a thick batter.
- Heat oil for shallow or deep frying in pan. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in the hot oil and fry till crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve the vrat palak pakora with coriander chutney or coconut chutney.