Headstand pose is advanced pose in yoga. It takes several years of practice to get into the pose. If you are not comfortable then you can do shoulder stand after fish pose.
Shirsasana practice (or Sirsasana) helps in full blood circulation to head and supports total hair growth. It brings fresh oxygen and nutrients to follicle bulbs and capillary blood vessels. It reduces dandruff and helps to have clean skin in the scalp
To perform shirsasana-
- Start with tabletop position.
- Bring your forearms onto the mat. Keep the elbows parallel to each other.
- Join the hands and interlace fingers. Now place top of your head (crown) in the cup that is formed in your palm by interlacing fingers.
- Inhale and slowly lift the knee from the floor and walk feet towards elbows. You will be in V shape just like downward dog pose. Slowly lift your body – your weight will be on your forearms and shoulders.
- DO NOT put weight on the neck or head. Exhale and lift feet off the floor. Slowly, steadily bring both legs towards ceiling. Arch in your feet, center of pelvis and crown of your head all should be aligned.
- Hold the pose for five to seven breath and slowly come out of the pose without injuring the neck (by not putting weight on neck)
- After sirsasana take a small break by getting into child pose. Then move to vajrasana.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 28, 2020