It is a popular culinary mushroom used in various types of dishes.
It has unique flavor and considered as meaty mushroom.
Health benefits of Shiitake mushroom include: Some of the work carried out by Japanese scientist on mice (tumor) resulted in positive response for this type of mushroom.
- It is known to contain lentinan which is an anti-tumor compound. Lentinan is useful in stomach cancer treatment.
- It also good for liver health and reduces stomach ailments like hyperacidity, gallstones, ulcers etc.
- It helps in absorption of vitamin D and consumption of 5 ounces of this mushroom per day helps in fighting infection.
- Shiitake mushroom has following properties – antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal.
- It helps in blood sugar stabilization, reduces platelet aggregation and atherosclerosis.
- Eritadenine compound present in this mushroom helps to reduce cholesterol.
Image credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shiitake_mushrooms_1.jpg
Robin / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 8, 2017