Vegetable momos are traditional food of Nepal and are tantalizing foods. They are popular in Tibet, China, Bhutan and in NE states of India. In India momos are gaining popularity like samosas. Momos are available in Indian Chinese restaurants. There are varieties of momos, but vegetables filled momos are more popular than others are. Vegetarian momos are small bite sized savory snack that are steamed dumplings with a filling of mixed vegetables, green leaves, mushrooms and tofu.
Steam cooked momos are healthy snack for children. Momos are friendly lunch item. It is easy to prepare.
1. 3 Garlic – cut into small pieces
2. Spring onions – 2 – cut into small pieces
3. 1-1/2 cups Vegetables – cabbage, carrot, beans – cut into small pieces
4. Green chilies – 2
5. 1 cup All purpose flour
6. Salt as required
7. 3 & 1/2 tsp Vegetable oil
8. ½ tsp black pepper or as required
9. ¼ tsp salt or as required
10. 1 tsp soy sauce
11. 1 tsp sugar
12. 2 to 3 tbsp water for kneading or as required
- Mix flour, salt and oil in a bowl and add water to make a smooth pliable dough. Dough should be like puri dough. Cover and keep dough aside
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a vessel, add the finely minced garlic and saute for a minute. Add the finely chopped onions and saute for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the chopped veggies and fry in high flame for 3 minutes.
- Add a tsp of light soy sauce, 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder, pinch of sugar, and mix well.
- Add finely chopped green spring onion and salt. Mix well for a minute in medium flame.
- Switch off the stove and keep veggie mix aside.
- Knead the dough again and pinch out small lemon sized balls from the dough and dust with flour.
- Roll out each ball into a 3″ or 4″ diameter circle and Place a tablespoon of the prepared vegetable filling in the center of each rolled out circle.
- Beginning at one end of the circle, gather the edge to form pleats working your way around the circle and prepare a pouch. (fold into momo shapes as in the picture) Seal the top of momos.
- Place the momos in steam cooker and steam cook (like Idlis) for 10 minutes.
- Serve momos for breakfast or as snacks with green or red chutney and chilli sauce or tomato garlic dip!
Image courtesy: Pinterest.com
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: April 18, 2016