Punjabi Kadhi Pakora is a tasty gravy, vegetarian food from the State of Punjab in India. Punjab is known for its tasty vegetarian foods and very popular in Indian restaurants throughout the world.
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora is available on road side food carts/vendors and is a common, popular food item that is served for people who like to have lunch in these food stands or street vendors. It is a combination of pakora and kadhi.
Pakora can be made with mixed vegetables or using only onions.
Kadhi is made of yogurt and besan (gram flour). It is easy to prepare and can be prepared in 30 minutes.
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora recipe:
Ingredients for Punjabi Kadhi Recipe
1. Gram flour -1 cup
2. Methi leaves -fenugreek- chopped 1/3 cup
3. Carom seeds -3/4 tsp
4. Finely chopped onion- 1 Tbs
5. Turmeric powder
6. Salt to taste
7. Red chilli powder- 1/2 teaspoon
8. Baking soda a pinch
9. Oil for deep-frying
1. Yogurt sour 1& 1/2 cups
2. Gram flour -4 tablespoons
3. Ginger-garlic-green chilli paste 1 tablespoon
4. Red chilli powder 1/2 tablespoons
5. Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
6. Salt to taste
7. Oil 2 tablespoons
8. Cloves 5-6
9. Pepper- 5
10. Cumin- 1 tsp
11. Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
12. Asafoetida -a pinch
13. Ginger chopped -1/2 Tbs
14. Red chillis -3
15. One medium onion -sliced
16. One medium potato
Preparation of pakora/pakoda:
1. Mix fenugreek leaves, carom seeds, onion, gram flour, turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and baking soda in a bowl. Mix well using sufficient water to make a soft mixture.
2. Heat oil in a deep vessel. Drop small balls of pakora mix into the hot oil and deep-fry till golden. Drain oil using a tissue paper.
Preparation of kadhi :
1. Mix yogurt, gram flour, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in a bowl. Add 500 ml water and whisk well. Add 500 ml water and whisk again.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cloves, peppercorns, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and sauté for a minute. Add asafoetida, chopped ginger and red chillies, mix and sauté. Add onion and sauté till the onion is translucent.
3. Turn the flame to low and add yogurt -gram flour mix to the sautéed content and mix well. Mix will start to thicken. Remove from the heat.
To kadhi add the pakora and chopped coriander leaves. Serve kadhi with hot rice and roti.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 2, 2020