Today we are presenting another green gram recipe ” green gram idli”. It supply good amount of protein and delicious too. This is a good breakfast or lunch item. Try healthy green gram idli with coconut chutney combination today!
Green gram idli recipe
- Green gram – 1cup
- Urad dal/split black gram – ¾ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt as per your taste
- Chopped cilantro – 2 Tbsp
- Asafetida – pinch
- Grated carrot – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – chopped few
- Ginger – small cut 1.5 tsp
- Green chilli – small cut 1 or 2
- Wash green gram soak in 2 cups of warm water for about 5 to 6 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal in 2 cups of water.
- After soaking, rinse and grind the soaked green gram first by adding little by little water. Let it be a coarse grinding and it should not be too much paste texture.
- Grind Urad dal to a smooth batter.
- Mix both green gram and urad dal batter. Add salt and mix well. Consistency of the batter should be not too thin or thick. It should be like rice idli batter consistency.
- Ferment the batter overnight
- Next day, prepare seasoning using mustard, curry leaves and add to batter. Add finely cut ginger, green chilli, coriander leaves and grated carrot to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Grease idli plates using oil and pour seasoned, fermented batter.
- Steam cook ildlis for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, wait for few minutes. Using a spoon remove idlis from idli plates, transfer to a hot box or serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambar.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 11, 2019