Also known as mung bean, green gram is one of the top nutritious food that is good for all seasons. It not only good for cholesterol and heart conditions, it is known to lower blood pressure. It clears body system and removes toxic substances. Green gram cutlet is packed with nutrients and khichadi is another dish prepared using green gram for people who suffer from fever and in the road of recovery. Traditionally green gram dishes are favorite of those who fast on regular basis or on festival occasion like Shivarathri. Green gram sundal is a delicious dish with simple ingredients and very easy to prepare.
Green gram sundal
- Whole Green Gram : 1.5 cups*
- Green chilly: 2-3
- Asafetida: a pinch
- Curry leaves : few
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Grated fresh coconut: 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Chopped coriander -1/2 cup
- Cooking oil: 2 tbsp
- Soak green gram in hot water for 1 to 2 hours.
- Pressure cook green gram. Do not overcook ( to avoid it turning to paste)
- Place frying pan on medium heat, add mustard, green chilli, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add cooked green gram and salt. Mix well and turn the heat to low for few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and to cooked green gram add fresh grated coconut, chopped coriander and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Serve hot green gram sundal with coffee or tea – your choice!
- One can soak green gram a day before, sprout it and use for sundal.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: March 4, 2019