Another traditional Indian sweet recipe, which tastes too good and divine, is presented here for our readers. Hayagreeva which is an auspicious Naivedya offered to Lord Vishnu during festivals and other auspicious occasions. It is made of bengal gram or channa dal (or split chickpea) and jaggery. Easy to prepare with few ingredients Hayagreeva can be a dessert item too.
Channa dal serves protein as main nutrient ingredient. It has low glycemix index. Jaggery supplies fiber, supplies good amount of minerals and helps digestion. Due to presence of fiber jaggery acts as a cleansing agent and removal of unwanted toxins from the body.
The recipe calls for two tsp of ghee or clarified butter. Ghee has tremendous health benefits when taken in right amount.
Try Hayagreeva at home:
- Channa dal/Split chickpea lentils 1 cup
- Jaggery 1-2 cups
- Grated coconut 2-3 tsp
- Raisins 2-3 tsp
- Cashew 2-3 tsp
- Cardamom powder ¼ tsp
- Nutmeg powder pinch
- Ghee (clarified butter) 2 tsp
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for 1- 2 hrs. Pressure cook with enough water till 4-5 whistle. Dal should be cooked well.
- Drain the water completely.
- Take jaggery and little water in a vessel. Let the jaggery dissolve completely on medium heat. Switch off the stove.
- Strain the jaggery syrup into thick bottom pan. Add cooked chana dal and grated coconut mix well. Cook them on low to medium heat until it gets thick consistency.
- Heat ghee in a pan, roast cashew and raisins. Add this to chana dal mixture.
- Finally add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Hayagreeva is ready to serve.
Recipe and image: Mamatha Anil @ http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com/
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: February 15, 2017