- Beans or cabbage- 2 cups ( or capsicum, long beans can also be used) – Cut vegetables to small pieces (1/4 inches)
- Bengal gram or split channa daal- 1 cupe
- Yellow lentil or toor daal- 1 table spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Red chillies – 4 to 5
- Ginger -1/2 inch
- Asafetida – Need in very small quantity ( a pinch)
- Curry leaves – 7-8 leaves
- Cilantro (coriander) – 1/4 cup for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak channa daal & toor daal for 2 hours
- Cut beans or preferred vegetables to small size
- In a pan heat oil, add seasoning ingredients like mustard, little hing, curry leaves and cook cut vegetables and transfer to a bowl.
- Using a grinder grind soaked daal along with cumin, ginger, red chilies, asafetida and salt by adding little water.
- In the pan add one and half tablespoon of oil and heat the oil. To heated oil add the grinded mixture. And slowly stir the mixture in oil. Daal mix will cook in the oil well and forms small lumps (similar to upma)*.
- Allow cooked daal to cool and add cut vegetables to this daal mix and mix well.
- Add little lemon juice, garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve the daal usli with chapatti, rice or poori.
*Alternatively to cook daal one can use steam. Transfer freshly grinded daal mix to a cooker utensil and steam cook for 10 minutes. Once the daal cooked allow it to cool and break the daal to small lumps.
Image courtesy : https://anubala29blog.files.wordpress.com/
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: July 20, 2015