Beaten rice is one of the easily available item for breakfast, lunch box or snack preparation. Previously in this column we have given an easy recipe of poha cutlet.
This time we have another traditional recipe from Karnataka which is very easy to prepare with many readily available ingredients at home – gojjavalakki.
Gojju is type of masala which contains tamarind, jaggery and spices and avalakki is beaten rice or poha.
Flattened rice or beaten rice contains no cholesterol and saturated fat at all. Also, the sodium content is very less and thus the calories in the beaten rice are not harmful.
Moreover, it contains nutrients like iron, vitamin C, vitamin A and calcium too. It is termed as the low-fat diet and can be consumed with the fear of weight gain.
Recipe of Gojjavalakki
1. Beaten rice/Poha 2 cups
2. Grated coconut 4-5 tsp
3. Dry Red Chilli 5-6
4. Mustard ½ tsp
5. Tamarind lemon size (more) soaked in water
6. Powdered Jaggery 3-4 tsp
7. Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
8. Groundnut ½ cup
9. Chana dal 1 tsp
10. Urad dal 1tsp
11. Cumin ½ tsp
12. Curry leaves 1 strand
13. Asafoetida pinch
1. Wash beaten rice 2 times. Add tamarind juice, jaggery powder, turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.
2. Grind coconut, dry red chillies and mustard without adding water or with very less water.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and cumin. Add chana dal, urada dal and groundnut one by one and fry them. Add curry leaves and asafoetida. Add ground masala (step 2) and fry them for few minutes.
4. Add beaten rice (step 1) and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Gojjavalakki is ready to serve.
Recipe & Image by: Mamatha Anil @ http://bhakshyabhojana.blogspot.com
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: April 24, 2017