We have given a recipe on Okra or bhindi besan curry before, here’s the link: Healthy Recipe: OKRA – BESAN CURRY
And here is another stuffed okra recipe.
Why to eat okra? Okra has several health benefits:
- Low in calories, supplies vitamins of the category A, Thiamin, B6, C.
- Folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, zinc and dietary fiber.
- The mucilage and fiber present in okra helps to adjust blood sugar by regulating its absorption in the small intestine.
- It is a very good source of fiber and helps in gastro-intestinal conditions.
- Due to greater percentage of water in the bulk it thereby prevents constipation, gas and bloating in the abdomen.
- It also supports growth of probiotic bacteria in the gut.
- Reduces cholesterol!
- It is good for hair and supports hair growth.
- It is good for pregnant women.
Peanut stuffed Okara
1. Fresh okra – 1 Kg
2. 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
3. ½ small onion
4. 2 cloves garlic
5. 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger
6. 1 jalapeno chili,
7. ½ tsp. cumin
8. ½ tsp. coriander
9. ½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
3. Use paring knife to split okra pods nearly in half lengthwise, leaving tip and one side intact. Pry pods open with fingers—be careful not to tear them.
4. In a food processor finely chop – peanuts, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, and salt.
5. Fill slit okra with peanut mixture.
6. Place on baking sheet, and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes- until okra has softened and filling begins to turn brown.
7. If you need it crispy – leave it slightly longer. Serve hot stuffed okra with rice, chapati or roti.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: April 18, 2017