Black eyed peas are similar to lentils and belongs to the same family. It is commonly known as cowpea and has tremendous nutrition value.
It contains proteins, fibers and other nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium , iron, Vitamin B and magnesium. It contains less carbohydrates and calories.
It is known to reduce blood pressure, anaemia, increases folate intake and helps in digestion!
Using healthy black eyed peas a vegan friendly “black eyed pea curry” can be prepared.
This curry is very tasty and easy to prepare – curry goes well with basmati rice or roti.
- Black eyed peas – 1 cup
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic cloves -2
- Ginger -1 Tbs
- Onion medium size -1
- Tomatoes -3
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – 2 tsp
- Salt -as required
- Turmeric powder
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil for cooking – 1.5 Tbs
- Curry leaves – few
- Cilantro leaves – chopped 1/2 cup
- Soak black eyed peas for 2 hours and add little salt and pressure cook them in water. Do not be in a hurry to release the pressure from the cooker. Allow it to cool on its own otherwise seeds might not cook completely.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds, curry leaves and add onion. Add garlic and ginger and sauté it.
- Now add all the other spice powders and fry for about a minute or until they release their aroma.
- Add the tomato and raise heat to medium-high. Let tomato cook well.
- Now, add cooked black-eyed peas, coconut milk and salt.
- Boil for couple of minutes.
- Garnish using cilantro leaves and serve the curry with hot rice or chaptti or roti of your choice.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: March 1, 2017