Beetroot also known as beet is a good vegetable and contains good source of several nutrients. Potassium, minerals, folate, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C are few major ingredients of beetroot. Including fibrous beetroot in diet helps in many ways – regularity in digestion, reduces inflammation, improves athletic performance, reduces progression of dementia in elders and good for heart health and blood pressure conditions. Sugar content in beetroot is high. People with diabetic condition should limit consumption of beetroot.
Dishes made of beetroot are tasty. Beetroot curry, sambaar, salad, chutney, cutlets, falafel, halwa, puri, paratha, rasam, raita… are few examples in the long list of beetroot recipes.
Beetroot coconut soup is a delicious and tasty soup for all seasons that one should try.
- Beetroot medium size -2
- Onion –1 small
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chilli – 1
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Coconut cream – 2 Tbsp
- Coconut oil – 2 Tbsp
- Cilantro- ¼
- Wash and peel beetroot and cut into small pieces
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add chopped onion, chilli and ginger
- Add beetroot pieces and sauté
- After 3-4 minutes, add one cup water and bring the contents to boil.
- Let the contents simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Turn off the heat and allow content to cool.
- Puree the contents and transfer to a vessel
- Heat a vessel, add little coconut oil and add one tsp cumin, pepper and sauté it
- Now add pureed content, salt and coconut milk
- Heat the soup for couple of minutes
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot beetroot soup for lunch or dinner.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 27, 2018