Which is the best time to eat fruits? Find out
Fruits are full of antioxidants and are good for health. Every edible fruit is a gift to mankind. Our digestive system adopted to fruits during evolution itself. There is enough science background and evidence to say that humans have been fruit and plant eaters from the beginning. Including fruits in our diets has several advantages and helps in sickness and conditions. Loaded with antioxidants, most fruits supply less or zero calories. Fruits like citrus supply vitamin C that is good for cold and fever. Apple, peach and pear are good for digestion. Watermelon contain more water content and supply Vitamins B and lycopene. Potassium is present in abundance in both banana and pomegranate. Consuming fruits helps to reduce fatigue and tiredness.
Many of us think fruit as snacks. Some eat fruits during certain occasions, festivals or as snacks at evening. People who don’t have proper knowledge, assume that fruits contain lot of sugar and can raise blood sugar level and should be eaten in moderation. There is also a notion that fruits should not be taken with meal or cooked food. Some suggest that fruits should not be consumed after meal. If you are eating fruits only in empty stomach, then you should reconsider your habit.
- The myth which says eat fruits in empty stomach also says that eating fruits with food causes discomfort, gas and indigestion. Fact is, all most all fruits contain fiber and releases food slowly in the stomach. Eating fruits with food results in less calorie consumption. In addition, fruits can cause stomach to empty slowly. Slowing the emptying of stomach is good as we feel full for much longer and we won’t end up eating too often or end up eating junk foods. Eating fruits with meal helps you to consume less calories afterwards. This is a big advantage for those who struggle to lose weight.
- Another myth is, If fruits sit in the stomach for longer time it can lead to diarrhea and bloating because of microbial growth causing rotting and fermentation! Well, it is not true either and it is a misleading information. When fruits reach stomach, the acid secretion (stomach acid) with low pH will act on microorganisms.
- Our body metabolizes glucose at cellular level causing formation of free radicals that can damage body in different ways. It can result in different conditions such as Type 2 diabetes, cholesterol build up, heart conditions and even cancer. When we eat fruits, body goes into Pro-oxidant state for few hours because of antioxidants present in the fruits. These antioxidants act on free radicals and keeps our system in good condition. In other words, “eating fruits with cooked food or meals helps to boost health by releasing antioxidant that guard our system for several hours”.
- There is not scientific data to prove the myth “diabetic people should eat fruits 1-2 hours before or after meal”. People with sugar problems must eat fruits that are suitable for their health. Including certain fruits with breakfast, meal and dinner is good for diabetes. Fruits have mix of nutrients. Eating raw fruits will add more nutrients to body. Precaution should be taken about processed fruits, dried fruits and fruit juices. instead eating fruits in empty stomach pair fruits with snacks or meal for diabetic condition.
- There is also a belief that, eating fruit before or after meal reduces its nutritional value. It is not true. Our stomach is designed in such a way that it can hold food and release small amounts at a time for intestines to digest food easily. Small intestine (which is long organ) can absorb as many nutrients as possible. In fact, both intestines can absorb twice the amount of nutrients a human consumes per day! Whether we eat fruits empty stomach or in full stomach or with food, intestine do their duty of absorbing nutrients. Our digestive systems are more prepared than we think.
Include fruits in your daily diet. Eating fruits just before meal, with cooked food or after meal all give benefits of getting nutrients to body. Eating fruits everyday is a good idea for healthy body.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: August 5, 2022
« Your food choices decides your health Growing Plants Can Help to Fight Depression »
Write a comment