It is time to grow vegetable garden. One can expect nuisance from insects and bugs that stall growth of veggie garden. Synthetic chemical sprays can cause breathing issues and fatigue. Instead of using chemical sprays to control and kill insects, prepare natural insecticides at home. Here are nine DIY insecticide formulas for those who want to be safe. All these formulas call for few drops of liquid soap that help to bind the insecticide on plant surface.
- Castile soap spray: To control beetles, aphids, mites, moths – Mix 2 tsp castile soap in 250 ml water. Shake and spray the mix on plant surface.
- Oil mix: To control mites, thrips, aphids and small insects mix mild liquid soap with vegetable oil. Castile soap or dish washing soap is good for this purpose. Base mix: 1 Tbsp castile soap + 1 cup vegetable oil. Store in a bottle. When you need to use, Take 2 Tbsp of this mix, add 250 ml water, shake and spray on plant surface.
- Neem oil mix: Neem plants are known to inhibit insects and fungus. Add 2 tsp of neem oil, 1 Tsp of mild liquid soap and 250 ml water. Mix well and spray on plants to control both pests and fungus.
- Clove oil spray: Some insects like ants can be controlled by strong odor of clove. Mix 2 tsp of clove oil, 1 tsp liquid soap or detergent, 250 ml water. Shake and spray on plant and soil surface.
- Garlic spray: Pungent aroma of garlic is good insect repellent. Crush one medium size garlic bulb, blend or prepare puree with little amount of water. In a vessel take ¼ cup vegetable oil, 2 tsp mild liquid soap, 250 ml water and add garlic puree into it. Let the mix sit for couple of hours. Strain and transfer to spray bottle and spray on plant surface to control insects.
- Tomato leaf spray: Chop few tomato leaves (2-3 cups), add 250 ml water and 1 tsp liquid soap. Allow the mix to steep for few hours. Strain and transfer liquid to spray bottle to spray on plants. This helps to control aphids.
- Camphor spray: Take few camphor tablets and dissolve in 250 ml water. Mix well. Add few drops of liquid detergent, mix well and spray the liquid on plant surface to keep bugs and other insects away.
- Peppermint oil spray: Mix 2-3 tsp peppermint essential oil in half liter water. Add few drops of liquid soap. Mix well and spray on plant surface to keep ants and flies away.
- Garlic and mint spray: Prepare a puree with few mint leaves and garlic cloves. Mix in 250 ml water. Let it steep for few hours. Strain and mild liquid soap drops. Mix well and spray the mix to control garden bugs and insects.
- Image credit: Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: June 3, 2020