Sometimes those extra vegetables that are sitting in the refrigerator can have bit wrinkled skin or may look slightly old.
If there is no fungus or bacterial infections and the vegetables still look good inside, then instead of throwing the vegetables we can use them in different ways.
Here are 17 ways to use leftover vegetables :
1. Tomatoes: Chop tomatoes and use them to prepare tomato sauce. One can use it within 3 to 4 days or can freeze it for about 6 months.
2. Herbs: If there are herbs sitting that are not spoiled, puree them with enough oil and freeze the mixture in a shallow container for about 6 months! When needed take it out and add it sauces and dressings.
3. Summer Squash / Zucchini: Slice these vegetables and coat with olive oil. Toss them in salt and pepper. Grill these vegetables or roast them to brown.
4. Prepare soup: Cut all those old vegetables and prepare a mixed vegetable soup with little bit of tomato. Add herbs and spices for better taste.
5. Bake them: Combine with tomato sauce and bake them in lasagna. Add all those vegetables – everything from steamed green veggies to root veggies.
6. Prepare stir fry: All those vegetables (beans, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower etc) that are housed in the refrigerator can be turned into stir-fry.
7. Roasting: Root vegetables like turnips, sweet potato, potatoes, Colocacia roots (Arbi or patra) can be roasted well. Roasting is the easiest and fastest way to make any vegetable delicious. Cook them in a hot skillet until they’re crispy on the outside and enjoy as is or serve with cumin or jeera rice.
8. Prepare veggie dosa / Indian pancake: Cut vegetables into small pieces and mix in dosa flour and prepare vegetable uttappam.
9. Tasty salad: Prepare roasted vegetables and combine cooked pasta, add some baby spinach. Dress with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dry nuts and fresh basil.
10. Prepare stew: Use up leftover vegetables by simply adding them to a stew with lentils.
11. Make leftover veggies into a burrito: Add coriander and lime infused rice, little salsa, and wrap it!
12. Muffins & cakes: Some vegetables like carrots can be added to muffins and cakes. It makes your baked goods moist and gives a pretty look.
13. Mix vegetable pulp with almond meal, spices, and dehydrate or bake on a low temp- crackers. This tastes yummy!
14. Veggie bake: Grate any veggies that have wrinkled skin. Add this to quinoa and prepare quinoa pulao.
15. Veggie pizza: Prepare pizza using left over vegetables -slice them and place them on pizza – bake at desired temperature.
16. Prepare curry: Cut all those left over vegetables and prepare a delicious curry and serve with hot rice!
17. Lemons: Squeeze lemons and add it to vinegar. Use the liquid for cleaning purpose. Or use lemon slices to clean the silver vessels.
Image credit: Photo by Engin Akyurt from Pexels (Free for commercial use)
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 2, 2020