Lately coconut is gaining lot of attention and it is all for good reasons. Use of coconut is recommended moderately in our daily food to boost our memory and also to avoid old age memory loss. Coconut oil usage is highly recommended for various medicinal purposes. In southern states of India – Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh – use of coconut is very common in daily food. Here is a coconut curry recipe from Kerala – Ishtu or in English “white vegetable stew”.
Ingredients: (Cooking for four people)
- Carrot -1
- Beans – 8
- Cauliflower- 5-6 florets
- Potatoes- 2 small
- Green peas, fresh – 1/4 cup
- Oil- 3 teaspoons
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Onion- 1
- Green chilies, slit- 4
- Ginger, chopped- 1 inch
- Garlic, chopped – 2 big cloves
- Coconut, grated – 1 cup to prepare thick and thin coconut milk
- Curry leaves- 1 strand
- Salt- to taste
- Cut all vegetables to desired length. Potato can be cooked in a pressure cooker of can be cooked in a microwave under potato option.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cinnamon, chopped cloves and cardamom and fry for couple of minutes.
- Add onion and green chilies. Fry for few more seconds followed by ginger and garlic. Continue frying for few more seconds, until the onion becomes translucent
- Add all cut vegetables to the pan, add little salt, mix well, and roast in oil for fifteen seconds.
- Add water to vegetables (let water cover the vegetables), close the lid, and cook until vegetables becomes soft.
- Meanwhile grind coconut with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. Take out little portion of thick coconut paste (milk) and put it in the pan. Grind rest of the coconut by adding another 1/2 cup water so that consistency of this portion of coconut milk becomes thin.
- Bring curry to boil by adding rest of the grinded coconut thin paste. To keep consistency of the mix DO NOT boil the mix. Just warm it for couple of minutes.
- Season the curry with mustard, curry leaves and a red chili.
- Serve this curry with traditional rice noodles, roti, chapatti, white rice, pulav, uttappam etc.
Image courtesy: http://mariasmenu.com/