Indian Mulberry also popularly known as Noni juice plant grows in India, Australia, and other parts of South East Asia. Noni juice is popular because of its multiple health benefits. In India it is also known as Amrit Noni juice.
Nutrients in noni juice helps to boost immunity and reduces inflammation. It is also highly recommended for people who suffer from diabetes. Juice is extracted from the greenish-white-yellow hue fruits. Plant (Morinda citrifolia) is a shrub and produce white flowers.
In Hawaii’s Polynesian culture, the Noni plant is considered sacred, and a source of life and the natives used it as a remedy for many diseases. In Ayurveda, noni is considered to have two properties – rasayana and balya. Rasayana property of noni makes it an immune boosting, rejuvenating and anti-stress herb. Balya property makes it a strength promoting herb. Hence noni is believed to cure many diseases and common conditions.
Nutrients in Noni: Noni contains Vitamin A, C, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Calcium, Iron and Selenium. Studies conducted on noni juice revealed that it contains Xeronine and enzyme that can repair damaged cells. High concentration of Xeronine helps to increase body’s amino acid and vitamins assimilation capacity that helps to reduce weakness and tiredness. It improves mood and stimulates secretion of serotonin, the mood enhancing chemical. There are other antioxidants present in noni juice – terpenes that fix free radicals and damnacantale alkaloid that stimulates immune system.
Niacin, linoleic acid, flavonoids, anthraquinones, catechin – imparts anti-inflammatory property in noni.
Health benefits of noni juice:
1. Boosts immune system, reduces fatigue and body inflammation.
2. Good for diabetes as it contains dietary fiber and reduces absorption of sugar in blood stream.
3. It is also known to improve lung health.
4. Reduces blood pressure.
5. People suffering from depression, anxiety and stress related body pain can get relief from pain by consuming noni juice
6. It is also recommended for conjunctivitis cure
7. Useful in reducing common cold and related fever.
8. In traditional home remedies it is used for controlling diarrhea in infants and children.
9. It improves digestion and stomach health by supporting gut bacteria.
10. It is recommended for arthritis and bone strengthening.
11. Noni is used to heal piles and internal wounds and intestinal worms.
12. Noni is recommended as tonic for rejuvenating the body and it reduces chronic pain.
13. It is helpful in reducing cholesterol and triglyceride
14. It is also recommended for cancer patients.
15. It is also applied topically to reduce acne and other skin conditions.
Amrit noni alone cannot be taken as it could imbalance the nutrients. In Ayurveda noni is given with Indian gooseberry (amla) and Ashwagandha as co-ingredients to balance negative effects.
Precautions: Even though noni is recommended for its many health benefits, it is not advised for certain conditions like kidney problem (due to high amount of potassium), liver issues, over consumption could lead to diarrhea and people who consume allopathic medicine should not consume noni as it can interact with drugs.
Noni juice is available commercially in many parts of the world. During pandemic is gained more popularity. People who wish to consume noni juice must consult their physician. It is better to start with small dosage and increase the volume slowly to avoid any adverse effect.
One can have noni juice when the body is tired, and mind is stressed out and generally recommended to take in empty stomach and not to mix with alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
Forest and Kim Starr, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: September 30, 2021