In many mental related health conditions serotonin which is a neurotransmitter plays a key role. Serotonin helps to regulate social behavior, appetite and digestion, memory, sleep and sexual function. People who suffer from such conditions seek medical attention and take synthetic medication that target serotonin. To boost serotonin naturally there are many ways one can try.
- Exercise: Exercise boosts serotonin. Daily exercise for minimum 30 minutes helps to change the mood and brings positive, happy approach towards world. Over longer period exercise makes us feel better both physically and mentally.
- Improve gut health: Optimize your gut health with good, nutritious and more gut friendly food. Much of the serotonin is produced in our gut. Keeping gut in good mood with probiotic, fibrous food, detoxifying gut helps to reduce serotonin deficiency.
- Reduce carbohydrates: When you eat food rich in carbohydrates like pasta, bread, popcorn, potato, enriched foods it increases insulin level and tryptophan. Tryptophan is building block of serotonin. Such foods rich in carbohydrates makes us feel happy temporarily and increases blood sugar level that affect our health in different ways. Instead consume complex carbohydrates such as fruits, carrots, sweet potato, dry fruits, nuts, chick pea, beans, pineapple etc. These foods boost serotonin without causing harm to body. Eating tryptophan rich complex carbohydrates foods like cheese, beans, nuts help in production of serotonin.
- Chose fats wisely: Not all fats are bad. Certain essential fatty acids are needed for our neurotransmitters and hormones. To keep serotonin production in balance consume recommended amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed products, avocados, olive oil etc.
- Optimize sleep: Right amount of sleep helps us to feel better. When we are mentally depressed and mood out, we feel fatigue and like to sleep. It will not help to uplift the mood. What we need is good amount of sleep at night as the body needs rest at certain hours which should be night time. Too much sleep makes us feel sluggish and it deprives serotonin. Getting up early hours during sun rise, exposing body to light, boosts serotonin level. Right amount of serotonin is produced when we get enough sleep and expose to day light.
- Vitamin D and sun light: Vitamin D helps neurons to secrete more serotonin. When feel depressed, mood out go for a walk in Sun light. It will help your body to absorb Vitamin D and produces serotonin.
- Vitamin B12: Lack of Vitamin B is one of the reasons for our mental condition. Including vitamin B helps to reduce problem associated with cognition – memory, thought and attention.
- Herbs help: Certain herbs like turmeric, saffron, triphala helps in bringing balance in serotonin and keeps mental condition in balance. Include these herbs in your day to day life to bring positive changes.
- Pets: Spend time with pets. Adopt or foster pets. Having pets changes life. They dedicate life around you and you will enjoy nurturing, talking to pets that helps in serotonin production and balances it in the system.
- Spending time in nature: Going for walk, taking hike in nature and woods, exploring life in nature will bring back balance in serotonin. Forest, woods are natural therapy to be mindfulness that helps to cure the imbalance of mind.
A healthy life – healthy habits, healthy thinking, healthy eating helps balance serotonin. These natural ways are best approach to boost serotonin and to solve mental conditions-lack of motivation and having often negative thoughts.
- Image credit: Image by PublicDomainPictures from Pixabay
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: November 22, 2020