Mustard greens have several health benefits. Mustard greens belong to same family as cabbage. It is considered as lightweight champions of green foods! These green leaves are filled with several goodies! There is no fat and a cup of mustard green supplies only 21 calories!
- They are rich source of Vitamins – A, K and C. Vitamin A is essential required for maintaining mucus membrane, Vitamin C needed to fight body invaders and Vitamin K is essential for bone health and nervous system. Vitamin K is also anti-inflammatory agent.
- Apart from Vitamins mustard plants are also source of several minerals – magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, potassium, folate.
- It also supplies antioxidants in abundant. Antioxidants helps to prevent cancer and other conditions.
- Adding mustard greens in salads supplies good dietary fiber. We know consuming dietary fiber helps in reducing cholesterol and improves heart health. It also has detoxifying effect on system.
- Adding mustard greens in food helps to reduce weight and increases overall stamina and health. It reduces chronic illness too.
Consuming mustard greens for lunch or dinner with salad or in a side dish recipe helps digestive system and removes unwanted fat. This will bring body weight down. Include mustard green in your food 2 to 3 times a week to get better results. Here are two quick recipes to get full benefit of mustard greens:
- Mustard green crispy salad:Take 2 Tbsp of olive oil, 4 garlic cloves (sliced thin), mustard green leaves – washed, trim about 1 kg, lemon juice 2 Tbsp. Heat oil on tray in oven (300 F). Add garlic and fry to golden brown. It should turn to crispy. Add mustard green and stir – cook for couple of minutes only and add all greens. Continue to mix and stir in between till the leaves become tender and crisp. After 10 minutes add lemon juice, crushed pepper (and or red pepper), sprinkle salt. Mix well. Serve before lunch or dinner.
- Another way to eat mustard greens: In a pan add one or two tsp oil and heat on medium heat. Add 1 tsp cumin and half tsp pepper, one green chilli – followed by thin sliced garlic clove and half sliced onion. Fry the ingredients for couple of minutes. Add grated ginger, mustard green and continue frying. Add one cut tomato. Close the lid – let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn of the heat and allow contents to cool. Puree the contents with little salt. Serve this with your choice of bread, chapathi or rice.
Grandma’s home remedies :www.healthylife.werindia.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: May 3, 2018