When phlegm or mucus sits inside the system, it can create havoc. A sort of uneasiness, sleepiness, lethargy, irritation, body ache all these types of symptoms one will experience.
It is important to blow nose properly when we know we have lot of mucus.
If not, it can lead to flu, fever. Allergies and cold produce excess mucus and results in infection of upper airways and lungs.
To control and reduce phlegm, one can try some herbal and home remedies for phlegm..
1. Licorice root: Licorice root teas eases congestion by loosening and thinning mucus in airways. It helps to expel mucus from the body. To intensify licorice effect one can combine licorice root tea with ginger. Steep or boil licorice root with grated ginger in water and consume twice a day.
2. Ginger and jaggery: Both ginger and jaggery are good combination to reduce mucus and to get rid of phlegm. Boil a cup of water and add grated one tsp ginger and one lemon size jaggery. Strain and drink without milk.
3. Ginger, jaggery and honey: Crush ginger and add honey and powdered jaggery. Mix and prepare small balls. Chew one or two of these “churan” twice or thrice a day. This helps to reduce phlegm amount and cough.
4. Salt water gargle: Dissolve a tsp of salt in one cup warm water and gargle. This helps to bring out the mucus and soothes sore throat.
5. Peppermint tea: Steep few peppermint leaves in hot boiled water. Add half tsp of honey, mix and drink. Menthol in peppermint helps to remove phlegm and steam helps to clear the nasal passage.
6. Turmeric milk: Before going to bed, boil 1.5 cups of milk with 2 tsp of turmeric. Bring the volume of milk to 1 cup by boiling. Drink with or without sugar. Turmeric milk reduces inflammation and mucus. Helps to get sound sleep by easing nasal passage.
7. Salt water gargling: For one cup of warm water add 1.5 tsp of salt. Dissolve and gargle thoroughly. While gargling you will remove phlegm from throat and you also will notice watery nose giving clear way for breathing.
8. Onion: Bake or slightly burn one red onion and add little jaggery or sugar candy. Have this before or after dinner. Both onion and jaggery can remove phlegm overnight.
9. Eucalyptus oil: Inhaling eucalyptus essential oil is helpful to reduce mucus and cough. Add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to boiling water. Transfer this water to bowl and inhale the vapors for few minutes. While inhaling cover your head with a towel and don’t allow steam to escape. If you have a diffuser or humidifier add few drops of eucalyptus oil to clear nose.
10. Lemon, pepper, salt: Wash and cut lemon into thin slices and add crushed pepper and salt. Mix and leave it for few hours. Take a lemon piece and keep in mouth. Chew the lemon slowly to reduce phlegm. One can dry this mixture under sun and store in air tight container. When there is phlegm chew lemon pieces.
11. Honey, pepper and dry ginger powder: Mix these three ingredients in equal amount and one or two tsp twice a day.
12. Drink hot liquids: Hot soup and hot herbal tea (peppermint, lemon and ginger, chamomile, ginger tea) will help to reduce mucus and also to relax.
Sometimes, mucus can stay longer. If you are a smoker, stop smoking today. Smoking increases both cough and mucus. Avoid using household cleaners, paint, smoke, chemicals as these substances can only increase your trouble with mucus. Phlegm is a common condition. But one should be also careful if it is prolonged cough with mucus. If it persists then it can lead to some other conditions.
Grandma’s remedies @Healthylife.werindia.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: June 7, 2018