Dragonfly pose or Parsva bhuja dandasana is an advanced yoga pose where entire body will balance on arm strength. It is a difficult arm balance pose and should be performed under guidance of an instructor. The pose relies on arm, core and leg. The pose strengthens body, helps to balance and strengthens spine and back. It is a hip opener and gives flexibility to legs and hip -www.healthylife.werindia.com
LEVEL : Advanced
Anatomy :Arms, Back, Hips, Shoulders
Pose Type :Arm Balance, Hip Opener
Sanskrit :Parsva Bhuja Dandasana (pars-vah bhuu-jah dahn-DAHS-anna) parsva = side, flank
bhuja = arm, shoulder danda = staff
- Challenges and improves balance
- Tones the abdominal organs
- Strengthens the shoulders, arms, and back
- Opens the hips
- Tones the legs
- Boosts confidence and inner strength
- Wrist, shoulder, or low back injuries
- Stand in Tadasana (Mountain pose). Cross your right ankle just above your left knee and flex your foot.
- Lower into a squat, balancing on your left toes. Bring your fingertips to the floor.
- Twist your upper body to the left. Position the arch of your right foot against the back of your right arm. Place your palms on the floor to your left, shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your elbows and shift your bodyweight into your hands. Extend your left leg to the right and draw your elbows together.
- Balance in the pose for several breaths. Exhale and bend your left leg, then slowly release the pose. Change sides.
MODIFY OR REPLACE
- Crane/ Crow pose (Bakasana)
- One-Legged King Pigeon pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Place a pillow underneath your head to relieve the fear of falling.
- Bound Angle pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Pigeon pose (Kapotasana)
- Crow pose (Bakasana)
- Side Crow pose (Parsva Bakasana)
- Gorilla pose (Padahastasana)
- Garland pose (Malasana)
- Activate your core.
- Powerfully reach your bottom leg out to the side.
- Find grace and mindfulness coming into and out of the pose.
WATCH OUT FOR
- Hands too wide or too narrow
This article with image published here with permission from https://beyogi.com
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: November 30, 2017