Indian gooseberry Pickle is very tasty and delicious. It is easy to make. Gooseberry or amla as it is commonly known has several health benefits. Indian gooseberry is taken by mouth for high cholesterol, hardening of the arteries, diabetes, pain and swelling of the pancreas, cancer, upset stomach, eye problems, joint pain, diarrhea, dysentery, osteoarthritis, obesity. It is also used to kill germs and reduce pain and swelling caused by the body’s reaction to injury or illness (inflammation).
- 1 kg Amla
- 350 gm salt
- 240 gm/1 cup mustard oil
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- 2 Tbsp asafetida
- Boil the amla till the skin looks tender.
- Leave to drain in a colander until all the water drains out.
- Heat some oil and add the mustard seeds, asafetida and chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add amla and salt to the mix. Make sure that all amlas are completely coated with spices.
- Cool and store in a clean jar.
- Serve with main course or with rice dishes of your choice.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: December 31, 2015