The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-C content. The Indian Gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family. This fruit ripens in the autumn in wet, forested, hilly areas on the Indian subcontinent. In India it is considered a sacred tree. The fruit is very nourishing, but it tastes sour. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.
Ingredients for amla juice
Amla (Nellikkai) – 4
Lemon – 1
Sugar – 1/4 cup or as required
Water – 2-3 cups
- Take out seeds from amla and cut into wedges.
- With the help of little water, grind it to a smooth paste using a blender.
- Use a fine sieve and filter only juice from it.
- Add lemon juice from one lemon.
- Add sugar and water. Stir well until the sugar dissolves completely. Taste and adjust the water and sugar.
- For little fragrance one can add pinch of cardamom powder.
Use: Drinking amla juice especially in the morning hours boosts immune system.
Image courtesy: Indiamart.com