Bisibele bath is a delicious rice-lentil combination dish that also contains mixed vegetables. The spices that are required for bisibele bath preparation are gut friendly and helps to digest the food easily. Bisi stands for temperature hot (in Kannada) bele for lentil and bath means mix of rice with all these other ingredients.
One can prepare bisibele bath using instant masala powder. However, preparing this dish from scratch is favorite exercise of many as the taste comes out really yummy. Try bisibele bath with raita, chips or pickle on side for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Raw rice – Sona Massori- 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Fine cut mixed vegetables- Green beans, carrot, potato (few) or Mixed vegetable frozen bag
- Green peas fresh – 1/2 cup
- Onion- Small round onions -few
- Jaggery – small piece
- Salt – as per taste
- Asafetida – little
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chili -1
- Cashew – few (optional_
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Oil for seasoning
For masala grinding:
- Red chilli – 6
- Coriander seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin – ½ tsp
- Tamarind – pulp or 2 inch
- Poppy seeds – 1 tsp (optional)
- Clove -2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Black peppercorn- 5-6
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Cook rice and toor dal in pressure cooker. Both ingredients should be cooked soft.
- Cook cut vegetables, peas, green chili, small onion by adding little turmeric powder and water.
- Grind masala ingredients together to fine paste by adding enough water.
- In a deep vessel, add masala, cooked rice-dal and vegetables and bring it to boil on medium heat. Add jaggery, salt and ghee. Add water to reduce the thickness.
- In a pan heat oil and prepare seasoning using mustard, asafetida, curry leaves, one small red chili. Add cashew either to seasoning or dry fry to golden brown.
- Transfer seasoning and cashew to bisibele bath and if needed add little more water and mix well.
- Remove bisibele bath from heat and serve hot with side dish like Indian papad, raita, spicy chips, or pickle.
Image credit: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/440156563587054515/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: March 2, 2021