Idli is South Indian breakfast item. It is considered as the most healthiest and nutrient rich breakfast of India. ‘India Breakfast Habits Study’, a survey conducted in four metros, found that Southern cities of India has the best breakfast ‘nutrient profile’ in the country. The nutrition scale was assessed based on the adequacy of carbohydrates, energy, proteins, fats and calcium. According to research on ‘India Breakfast Habits Study’ conducted by Dr. Malathi Sivaramakrishnan of Nirmala Niketan (with support of Kellogg India), the existence of well-defined breakfast foods like Idli and Dosa with Sambar ensures that Chennaiites have a breakfast adequate in calories compared to Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
Here is a recipe of stuffed idlis for all idli lovers. This is slight modification from traditional idli with potato subji in the center.
For Idli preparation
- Idli rice – 2 cups
- Urad daal – One cup
- Salt – as needed
- Potatoes – 5
- Chopped onions – one
- Chillies -chopped -3
- Coriander leaves -1/4 cup
- Ginger -1 inch
- Salt – as needed
- Lime juice
- Curry leaves
1. Soak both urad daal and idli rice for about 5 hours. And course grind with little water. The batter need to be little thick to make idlis.
*If idli rice is not available one can use idli rava (one need not soak rava)
2. Add salt to batter, mix well and keep in a warm place overnight so that the batter will ferment.
3. Next day, boil potatoes, remove the skin. In a pan heat oil add mustard and curry leaves followed by onions, chillis, ginger, turmeric and salt. Sauté the ingredients under medium flame. Add Smash boiled potatoes and mix well. Add little lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Subji is ready to fill in idli.
4. Make small dumplings with potato subji.
5. In a steam cooker heat water to steam cook idlis. Meanwhile, grease the idli stands. Add half a ladle of idli batter in the idli moulds. Place a small potato dumpling in the middle of poured idli batter and again cover it with idli batter again.
6. Fill all idli moulds in the idli stand similarly and close the lid and steam cook for about 12 minutes.
7. Hot stuffed idlis can be removed after steam cooker cools down a bit. Serve stuffed idlis with any type of chutneys – coconut chutney, tomato chutney, coriander chutney or traditional daal chutney.