Winged bean salad curry
If you walk in Asian stores or in Indian vegetable market you will see these special beans looks like pea-like beans with four winged edges. Almost every part of this unique plant is tasty and edible. The fresh young pods are similar to green beans with a chewy texture and a slightly sweet taste. When cooked, these beans taste like combination of spinach and beans.
Winged beans are one of the versatile edible legumes of tropical origin. Nutritious and tasty these beans are. The whole plant exhibits abundant nutrition value. Tender, immature pods of winged beans are one of the very low-calorie vegetables; high protein content equivalent to that of soybean protein. Fresh, young bean pods are one of the finest sources of folates. Fresh winged beans contain quite a good amount of Vitamin C. Also, winged beans provide adequate amounts of minerals, and vitamins. Some of the essential minerals such as iron, copper, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium are concentrated in them. Winged bean leaves, used as greens, are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin-C, vitamin-A, and minerals.
Why wait? Try delicious salad- curry recipe using winged beans.
- Winged beans – 1 cup
- Soaked split chenna daal -2 Tbs
- Green chillies – ¼ tsp
- Chopped onion – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper – ½ or 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 1
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- Asafetida – a pinch (optional)
- Grated coconut -1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – 2 tsp
- Wash and chop the winged beans
- Heat oil in a pan and prepare seasoning using mustard, cumin, curry leaves, green chillis and red chilli. Add a pinch of asafetida (optional)
- Add the chopped onion and continue frying for 2 – 3 mins.
- Now add cut winged beans to the seasoning and stir.
- Add soaked channa daal to winged beans. Add enough water (about a cup should be sufficient) and cook for 15 mins.
- Add pepper, turmeric powder and salt at the end of the cooking.
- Once the winged bean and daal cooks well as per your requirement, remove the curry from stove and mix grated coconut.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the curry, garnish with chopped cilantro, mix well and serve winged bean curry with hot rice.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: June 27, 2017
« Quick method to roast Brussels sprouts Majjige Huli – A tasty traditional dish »
Write a comment